Wow, it has been waaaaaay too long since I last posted! Life has been great, busy, crazy, the usual… We recently bought a new house (with an awesome workshop!) and have begun the process of renovating. This may take a few months to complete, but hopefully will be well worth it in the end. Anyhow – I’m long overdue for sharing some projects. Today, I am picking up where I left off, sharing “The Ironbolt” table. This table was inspired by one that I admired from Restoration Hardware. It looked like a fun project and I thought it would look nice in my dining room.
First, I began by sketching out a plan. I wanted the X-base to be simple (simpler than the “fancy X” base that I’ve been doing) and have substantial hardware to make a statement. Here’s my initial sketch of the base.
I leveraged the Fancy X-Base plan on Ana White’s website that I have used in the past. Of course, instead of doing a wood truss I decided to use iron pipes from the hardware store. I went to my local Home Depot (it’s close to my house) and searched their pipe fitting inventory for something that might work. I chose a 5ft long 3/4 inch black pipe for the truss. Then I bought 4 inch long 3/4 inch pipes to go through the 4×4 legs along with some flanges and other connector pieces. Here is a list of what I used:
- 2 couplings for the inner connections
- 2 pressure unions for the outer hardware
- 2 plugs to cap off the pressure unions
- 1 5ft black pipe
- 2 4 inch black pipes
The black pipe is not the same iron finish as the fittings, so I had to paint it to match using Rust-Oleum’s Soft Iron spray paint. Once the table legs were cut and assembled, I drilled holes through the center of each base using a 1″ bit. The table top was standard as per my other tables – roughly 8 feet long by 3 feet wide. Then I sanded and stained the table using a custom blend of Minwax special walnut, classic gray and weathered oak (in thirds approximately). Once it was stained and poly’d, it was time for assembly. The pieces took a bit of trial and error to assemble, with the pipe unions on the outside and couplings on the inside.
Note, in the photo above it had a 4×4 top on the base – I actually modified it because the table was a little taller than I would have liked (I’m short and prefer tables that are approx. 28.5″ high vs 30-31″) to use a 2×4 in the finished table (per the plan above). Here is the finished piece with stain and top – by itself and staged with a matching farmhouse bench and some metal chairs.
I realize I haven’t taken the time to outline how to build the actual table. I think this plan on Ana White’s site by Shanty to Chic does a good job of explaining. I just modified the dimensions to use 4x4s in the base (for a chunkier look) per the drawing I posted above. Thanks for checking out this table!