Robin’s Egg Blue Antique Cabinet with Mirror
This piece was one of those lucky finds at the local Goodwill. I LOVE that place! Certainly, I stop there a lot of times and find nothing – however there are also plenty of times when I find something unexpected – something I would not necessarily have searched out on craigslist or at an estate sale – but yet has a ton of unique potential. This was that kind of piece. I honestly don’t know whether to call it a wash stand, night stand, small dresser, cabinet or what… It’s just a really cute piece made of solid oak with lovely dovetails joints, a curved top and great decorative carvings on the mirror frame. When I found it, it was in three pieces and it took me 10 minutes to realize they all went together. Here’s how I found it.
It sat around for a few months, but finally in a mad cleaning spree of the garage it came next up on the list. The first thing I did was thoroughly clean it – it was covered in dust, dirt, and cobwebs. Then, for a change, I decided to paint the inside of the cabinet. I went the easy route and used an Heirloom White Rustoleum spray paint. It really gave the inside a nicely finished look. Then I stripped the top, cleaned it, stained it in General Finishes Antique Walnut Gel Stain, and finished it in 3 coats of General Finishes High Performance Flat topcoat.
The next part was the trickiest – experimenting with the milk paint color. I wanted to create a unique Robin’s Egg Blue over top of a lively green. For the basecoat, I used Old Fashioned Milk Paint Tavern Green. Then I started creating the custom blue for the topcoats. The base was 1/4 cup of Miss Mustard Seed’s Eulalie’s Sky powder, plus 1 TBSP of Trophy (added gray to mute the bright color), plus 1 TBSP of Grain Sack (to lighten it up). My older daughter (who is such a helper these days) started painting over top of the green and I realized that it was coming out almost white. I really wanted a color with a lot more turquoise blue. So I added a touch of the leftover Tavern Green into the mixture plus 2 TBSP of French Enamel. This was perfect! And I couldn’t create it again if I tried :).
My daughters painted the cabinet, mirror and frame. We left a lot of the green showing through on the decorative carvings in the frame. Then I distressed it using 180 grit sandpaper. Finally, my older daughter helped wax it in Maison Blanche Light Brown wax.
Once I started putting it all back together, I realized that the hardware to attach the mirror to the frame was missing. The metal brackets on the back of each still existed, but it needed a connector piece about the width of a screw. I went down to Home Depot looking for options and found a 3 foot long metal bar that was 3/16th inch thick. Excellent! I got it home, it fit perfectly into the brackets so I just needed to shorten it to size (the mirror is only 30″ wide). I got out my handy dandy angle grinder and cut the metal bar. Note to self, cutting metal creates a lot of sparks – don’t do it while standing over the scrap wood and sawdust pile…not a good idea.
The last decision was hardware. It was missing the original cabinet door knob and I wasn’t crazy about the drawer pulls. So I went to my stash and found these great reproduction Bail Pulls from D. Lawless Hardware. They were less than $1 each, so I had ordered a bunch of them a while back. Can’t beat that! For the door knob I found an old stray one which I had taken off another piece and used Rub ‘n Buff to match the Antique Brass color of the pulls. I love the new hardware so much better. Without further ado, here is the final piece.
Thanks for taking the time to check out this piece. It was a lot of fun to create. I still have to catch up on posts, I have several other projects completed or in the works. In the meantime, hope all of you in the U.S. have a very happy Thanksgiving. So much to be thankful for…
Linking up with…