French Enamel Blue Antique Vanity
I’m so sorry that it’s been a while since I last posted, unfortunately the past few weeks I’ve been down with the flu, strep, bronchitis, and then pneumonia – just crazy! Never been so sick before in my life… the good news is that I’m 80% of the way back to normal! I’ve completed a few projects which I haven’t yet posted, so here’s one – the Antique Vanity / Desk.
This was a great find on Facebook via a local buy/sell group. The owner advertised a garage sale full of antique furniture. By the time I arrived, this was one of the last remaining pieces. I’ll admit I had to think twice about buying it. It was in fairly worn condition and I had a bias against vanities. They look really cool – but really, I assume they don’t make them anymore for a reason – no one wants them! This particular vanity however had a couple of cool features – 1) the top was all one height so that it could be used as a desk and 2) the drawers had a lovely pattern and all of its hardware intact. So I decided to take a chance and picked it up thinking it would work in my daughter’s room. She’s been asking for a desk and the price was right.
As you can see in the “before” photo, this vanity had a lot of scratches on the surface. This is pretty typical for the pieces I buy. Fortunately, I’ve learned that most scratches only penetrate through the topcoat and that the veneer on these old pieces is pretty thick.
Stripping and sanding does wonders to make the top look new again. I used my usual method – Citristrip left on overnight and sanding using various grades of sandpaper. Then I stained and finished the top using my go-to faves – Varathane Kona with a General Finishes High Performance Flat Polyurethane. Next, I painted the vanity with a base coat of Miss Mustard Seed Flow Blue Milk Paint. The next coats were Miss Mustard Seed French Enamel Blue. These colors were picked by my daughter – I always like to use a two-tone color palette to give the final piece more depth and interest. After painting, I distressed the vanity using 320 grade sandpaper and finished it in a coat of Maison Blanche Light Brown Wax. Here is the finished piece.
The rest of the story is that once I finished this piece and moved it into my daughter’s room, I realized it was just a little bit too big for the space – so I had to let it go. It’s now replaced with a cute new dresser which I will post very soon. I’m still on the lookout for a right-sized desk for my daughter and take pleasure in the hunt :). Thanks for checking out this piece and hope you have a great weekend!