DIY Chalk Paint Dresser & Bed Set
This was a really fun set to refinish. It originally came with a lowboy dresser with mirror and full sized bed. It also had a matching tall dresser, however I’m saving that for another project :). Here’s how the pieces looked when I got them. They had a lovely combination of patterned veneers which I (almost) felt bad painting over, including some walnut and bird’s eye maple. However, I was inspired to create a set that would be a bit more modern and reflect a color theme similar to those sets you see in the Restoration Hardware Baby & Kids catalogue (which they sell for way too much money!).
This dresser has actually been refinished once before. Lucky for me they did a good job and so instead of stripping it, I just had to sand down the top a bit. It did however have a few gaps in the veneer so I filled those with wood putty. Also, it was missing a drawer stop, so I had to make a new one by cutting a small 1/4 inch thick square of wood and gluing it into the frame. Other than those things, the pieces were in good shape.
I re-stained the top of the dresser using General Finishes Antique Walnut gel stain and finished it with two topcoats of Varathane Matte Polyurethane. I liked how the stain color complemented the dresser legs, which I decided to leave natural. Then I taped the top edges and mixed up the DIY chalk paint using the same recipe as before – this one from Live Love DIY. The great thing about DIY chalk paint is that you can use any color of paint you like and it’s got excellent coverage. I chose to use Sherwin William’s Functional Gray paint, using one of their Color To Go sample jars. Two cups of paint was plenty for these two pieces of furniture. I applied two coats of the DIY chalk paint and then highlighted the top drawer with Sherwin Williams Porcelain trim paint. I used the same color to highlight the headboard and footboard details.
After painting, I ran into the same dilemma as the last time I used chalk paint — it was just a little too perfect. While I know many people would have loved it just as it was – very clean and evenly painted – I have come to realize my style is more rustic. I guess I have a burning need to distress anything that looks too perfect! I had visions running through my head of the first time a young child scratches it – and then it would look awful because it would be the ONLY chipping in the paint. So out came my 320 grit sandpaper and I ran it lightly across the edges – so much better! And it actually highlighted the detailed woodwork better on the middle drawer too. If nothing else, it better resembles my style.
To finish off the dresser, I have been dying to use some gorgeous knobs which I’ve had in my supply box for several months – large ceramic flower knobs from Trinca-Ferro. These would be a great complement to the details, curves and shapes on the dresser, mirror, and bed. And finally the drawers were then lined using a light/dark gray chevron patterned paper from Paper Source. In the end, I absolutely love how this set turned out.
Thanks for checking out this set. I have to say I am still backlogged on my posts. Over the holidays my goal is to catch up – can’t wait to share! In the meantime, hope you all have a wonderful pre-holiday season and enjoy every minute of the fun and festivity that this time of year brings.
I was featured!!!!
Linking up with…
Funky Junk Interiors
Finding Silver Pennies
Friday’s Furniture Fix